About Me

My photo
I am a believer in God, a mom, a wife and a lover of winter!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The "Yes" Factor

I remember the days of the myspace surveys that everybody would fill out and then send to everyone else.  It would ask you questions such as "What is your favorite food?" "Where were you born?" "Where in the world would you visit if you could go anywhere?" "Who do you think will send this back to you?" It was typically just a big list of questions that I would attempt to make some humor out of.  But the one question that I remember most was: "What is the first thought in your head when you wake up in the morning?" Every time I would answer that question with " OOOO! I gotta pee!"  But what if, my first thought every morning was "Today I say Yes."

I have been struggling lately with getting my relationship back on track with God.  And my biggest problem I have run into is committing every day to sit down, and read my bible.  Why should that little task be so hard.  I LOVE to read! I can finish off a book in about a week if it's really good.  But why is it so hard for me to read the one book that will help me to grow closer to my creator? 

For people who know me, I have a tendency to become easily overwhelmed.  It starts off with I think about everything I need to accomplish and then I start to worry about doing it correctly and then I start worrying about what happens if I don't do it correctly and then I begin to think how that will affect the days ahead and then the weeks ahead and then on and on and on.  Until the enormity of it all crashes down on me and the inevitable meltdown begins.  I shut down, and get nothing done. Usually crying happens somewhere in the there as well.

And then I had a baby.  Talk about a stress overload.  I cried nearly every single day for the first few months after my son was born.  Everyday I continually stressed over him growing up and what I should be doing to make sure that he turns out to be a healthy, Godly man.  Constantly worrying about how I was going to discipline him when he needs it, how to encourage him without becoming overbearing,  how were we ever going to pay for his college!!  I had read plenty of articles that said to take it a day at a time.  Simply take care of the things for that day and don't think about tomorrow.  But for me that was still too much.  I learned, for me, I needed to take it an hour at a time.  I would say "Just worry about right now.  Don't worry about later today, just think about right now."  In fact, this was actually a wonderful change in my life.  Making myself constantly put it into practice I learned to also treasure every single moment with my newborn son. 

Well now that he is 10 months old, I have finally been able to move back to taking things a day at a time.  I have also learned that only some things need to be taken a week at at time.  Simply because I have to plan out my dinners for the week  doesn't mean I have to plan out everything for the week.  So I am going to make a vow right here and now.  I am going to read my bible today.  I am not going to say "I am going to read my bible everyday" because that is just too much for me to handle right now.  I only want to think about today.  Let tomorrow worry about it's self.  Today I will say Yes.  Yes to God. Yes to reading my Bible. Yes to honoring my husband. Yes to loving my family.

Today I will say Yes. And Today and Today, and Today until there are no more Today's left.

No comments:

Post a Comment